Sunday, July 19, 2009

Bastille Day and more N-D

Well, I have quite a backlog of photos and events -- since last Tuesday I've been to Bastille Day celebrations, Notre Dame with my class (which was followed by an epic amount of steak), the lovely delicate Sainte-Chapelle for a concert, the Champs-Elysées, and Versailles. Oh, yeah, and class. Here are a few shots of poor quality from Bastille Day, taken from an intersection full of excited kids and their families. They shot fireworks over, next to, and from the Eiffel Tower. I love the smell of pyrotechnics.




On Wednesday our class returned to Notre Dame for our official cathedral visit there. I missed most of it because I declined to climb the towers based on the recent incident in the National Cathedral in which I failed to remove my face from the cool limestone wall of the narrow walkway right under the rose window ("but look at the bosses in the arches of the nave!" "no thanks!"). Instead I wandered around in the park behind the cathedral, got a few morning shots, and sat for a while in one of the chapels, enjoying the brightness of the stained glass and the play of trees' shadows on that cool windy bright morning.